Wikipedia Lookup - development blog

Development blog for the Wikipedia Lookup addon for Firefox. Just some random notes on what's going on and addon development

Sunday, July 30, 2006

Lookup enabled for textareas and textboxes

I read some of the comments on addons.mozilla.org and there where some interesting feature requests there.

The first priority was the language issues, which I understand is an important feature. I too have a need for looking up both English and Norwegian word, so I am too very happy this feature is in place.

Secondly was a feature I hadn't thought of, which was that the extension couldn't lookup word inside a textarea or textbox. So I sat down on a hot Sunday evening here in Oslo and thought I'd give it a shot.

Getting the WLE to lookup inside a other controls wasn't as easy as I'd hoped. You couldn't just use the gContextMenu.isTextSelected. Some googling later I discovered the document.commandDispatcher.focusedElement property and then everything was pretty straight forward.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home